The Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall located in the Philips Memorial Building at West Chester University was built in 1927. The building originally served as a chapel and lecture hall as well as a performance area for many student organizations. Renovations were completed in January 2000 were made possible by generous donations by Emilie Kessel Asplundh, the School of Music, the Class of 1927, as well as many others. Renovations included improved audience seating and sightlines, acoustics, lighting, sound systems, and stage rigging as well as many structural improvements. The E.M. Skinner pipe organ was also refurbished. The concert hall now houses a 9ft Steinway Grand Piano donated by Margaretta Carey. The 1,200 seat Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall is now the premier performing arts venue in Chester County.